Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
I spent one summer touring Europe, visiting art museums and taste testing the delicious foods. When in Italy I enjoyed so many delicious pizzas, pasta, and vegetarian cooking dishes. One dish I loved was Manicotti with the rich tomato sauce and cheese flavor. Now being vegan, I have turned this Italian dish into a vegan delight. For your next dinner party or you’re hungry for Italian Manicotti please try this recipe.
- 1 Pound Tofurky Italian Sausage
- 1 Pound Boca Ground Crumbles
- 1 Medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 – 16 Ounce cans tomato paste
- 1 Teaspoon vegan sugar
- ½ Teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 10 Fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
- 10 Green onions, diced
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 – 8 Ounce package manicotti shells
- 4 Cups Tofutti Better Than Cheese Ricotta
- 1 – 8 Ounce Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Vegan Gourmet, diced fine
- ½ Cup Parmesan cheese, use your favorite vegan Parmesan cheese recipe
- Cook manicotti shells according to direction on the box, remove from heat, drain and rinse
- Cook vegan Italian sausage according to direction on label and drain on paper towel.
- In a large deep dish frying pan, cook vegan ground crumbles with onions.
- Stir in tomato paste, vegan sugar, pepper, 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Cut vegan sausage into bite size pieces and add to mixture.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Prepare Manicotti Noodle:
- In large mixing bowl, combine vegan ricotta cheese and vegan mozzarella cheese, parsley, ¾ teaspoon fresh chopped basil, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Use a spoon to stuff the manicotti shells with the vegan cheese mixture.
- Spray the bottom of a 13” x 9” baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Spoon half the vegan meat sauce into bottom of baking dish.
- Place one layer of stuffed manicotti shells on top of the sauce.
- Spoon all but ¾ cups of vegan meat sauce over stuffed manicotti shells.
- Add second layer of stuffed manicotti shells on top of the first layer.
- Spoon remaining vegan meat sauce over stuffed manicotti shells.
- Sprinkle with vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with green onions
Serve with tossed green salad, your favorite Italian salad dressing, and hot French bread.