The inspiration for this post came a few days ago at my friend's birthday. Being allergic to eggs, some of my other friends went off to make egg-free cupcakes- unfortunately they did this by simply excluding eggs from the recipe- making very messy and unpleasant cupcakes.
Hindsight is 20-20, and I knew exactly the tip that could've taken the cupcakes from not so good to amazing- if only I had shared it in time! The idea is to substitute in another ingredient to give support.
Some ideas are:
- a mashed banana
- apple sauce
- mashed sweet potato
- mashed pumpkin
- a tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed with water
- a tablespoon of chia seeds mixed with water
Not to leave you without a taste of how this tip works here is a great recipe I use.
Carrot Pineapple Muffins:
- 1/2 c coconut yogurt (or almond/soy)
- 1/2 plain coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed,
- 1/4c canola oil,
- 1/2c brown sugar.
- 1/2c chunks of pineapple (if canned) or cut 1/2c small chunks of pineapple (take care to save the juices for later, so squeeze dry over a small bowl and set it aside)
- mix with 1/2c finely shredded carrot as well as 1/2c raisins
- pour in 1/3c of the juice you set aside and mix thoroughly
In another bowl combine:
- 1 1/3c of whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together to make a nice batter, do not over mix! With the over preheated to 350 Fahrenheit bake for about 20 minutes and test to see if the muffins are ready. Once they are out and have cooled for five minutes, enjoy.
The bottom line is that being vegan is all about knowing what you can eat, not avoiding all the foods that you can't. Like most people, I have a busy week. I like to be able to wake up, get breakfast, and get out. By having a quick portable muffin, I could easily go start my day and be productive. Feel free to post any other egg substitutes you have experimented with, and don't forget to vote my post is hot if you like it!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.