These delicious and healthy sandwich variations are great for lunch or a snack. Quick and easy to prepare, they are very satisfying and crunchy and should fill you right up! You can use either bean- or alfafa sprouts or sprouted lentils, as they all work equally well here. Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1-2 carrots, peeled and grated
1-2 tbsp vinegar
1-1½ cups/100 -150g sprouted lentils, alfafa or beansprouts
6-8 tbsp houmous
2-4 tbsp vegan soured cream (eg soya cream) *
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 wholegrain pitta breads, toasted, halved and split to make pockets
4 cups (10 oz/300g) mixed salad greens
1) Mix the carrots in a bowl with the vinegar and sprouts.
2) In another bowl, blend the houmous with the sour cream until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
3) Spread the houmous mixture on one side of each pitta pocket, then fill with the carrots and sprouts.
4) Season with a little more pepper if desired. Serve on plates with salad.
* If you can't get vegan sour cream, you can make your own by adding a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to soya cream and mixing well.
Image courtesy of www.stockfood.co.uk