Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Well, this time, I am sharing a healthy breakfast recipe that’s quick and easy to make. This dish is known as idli and is very famous in India, especially in South India. Basically, idli is made out of rice, but this time I am sharing a recipe with a slight twist. I’m using vegan oats to make the idli, which makes it hearty and healthy. Here’s a list of ingredients that you need to prepare the oats idli.
For the batter:
- 1 cup of instant oats
- 1 cup of vegan yogurt
- ½ cup of semolina
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of cilantro
- 1 grated carrot
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
For the tempering:
- ½ tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2-3 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon of Bengal gram
- Step 1: Take a blender and blend the oats until you get a smooth powder and then keep it aside.
- Step 2: Now, heat some oil in a pan and add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and let them sputter for a minute.
- Step 3: Next, put the Bengal gram in the pan and mix it well. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Step 4: Now, you can add the chopped green chillies and grated carrot to the pan. Make sure you keep stirring it and cook it on low flame so that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Step 5: You can then add ½ cup of semolina and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Step 6: Once the semolina is cooked properly, you can add the oats powder and roast it with the rest of the mixture. When the colour turns golden brown that means that the mixture is roasted properly.
- Step 7: Take a bowl and put the mixture in the bowl and let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Step 8: Once the mixture cools down, you can add the vegan yogurt and water to the mixture and stir well. Now, we have our batter ready. Make sure that the consistency of the batter is not too thick and not too dilute.
- Step 9: Lastly, add the baking soda and salt to the batter and stir well. Keep the batter aside for 5 minutes. Until then we can grease the idli mouldings with cooking oil so that the batter doesn’t stick to the mould.
- Step 10: Pour the batter in the idli moulds evenly and then put it in the steamer and let it steam for at least 10-15 minutes.
That’s all you need to do to prepare these healthy instant oats idlis. Serve piping hot with chutney or sambar [Indian lentil curry].
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr’s Creative Commons.