Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 2 hours (in the fridge)
I have been craving some not-so great things lately, and I've unfortunately caved a few times and it is time to get back on track! Do you ever have wicked chocolate cravings? I had totally forgotten about chocolate chia pudding until a few minutes ago, so I quickly made some and it is setting and thickening in the fridge right now... to be enjoyed after a bikram yoga class. :)
If you haven't given chia seeds a try yet, this might be a good introduction. The pudding is a bit like tapioca pudding, but you can blend everything together after in order to make it smooth. Chia seeds expand and become soft/gelanantous, so they are perfect for thickening up a pudding and are full of Omega-3s, protein and antioxidants.
I sectioned mine off into 3 servings that are just over 150 calories each.
- 1/4 cup black or white whole chia seeds
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbs of either (or a mix of) cacao powder, unsweetened carob powder or chocolate protein powder (I tend to do a tbs of each)
- 2-3 4g packets of xylitol (or substitute with a liquid or dry natural sweetener, such as agave, maple syrup, coconut nectar, date sugar...)
- optional: pinch of sea salt, pinch of cinnamon, or a small banana mashed up and mixed into the pudding
- Mix all in a medium tupperware or bowl, making sure there are no clumps and place in the fridge for a few hours or leave over night. Each cold or warmed up.
- You can top with cacao nips, shredded coconut, vegan whipped cream, or eat as is!