My step-mum is a goddess in the kitchen and makes a famous magically-moist zucchini bread! This recipe has emerged from her inspiration.
Heather's bread is so rich and divine I always want to frost it and call it cake! I now offer my version of the bread, gone cake, along with a few desserty topping ideas!
I am particularly fond of yellow squash, pecans and nutmeg so they are the stars of this recipe. It's decadent enough on it's own but goes mega-delish when sugar-dusted, vegan buttercream-frosted or pecan-pralined. MMM!
Golden Zucchini Pecan Cake
- 4 cups Yellow Zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup Vegan Margarine (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup organic Vegan Cane Sugar
- 1 cup organic Vegan Brown Sugar
- 2 1/3 cups Flour of your choice
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 cups Pecans, chopped
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease two loaf pans and set aside
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake for an hour or until cake is moist but firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- When serving, you can dust with powdered sugar, drizzle with pecan praline or frost with a vegan buttercream or Tofutti cream cheese-based icing. There are many simple and wonderful vegan frosting recipes online or you can use your own.
- Of course, you can always revert back to enjoying it as a sweet bread; toast it, slice it thin and top it with a pat of melty vegan butter.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.