Prep Time: 15 minutes (not including the soaking and cooking of lentils)
Cook Time: 15 minutes
So I’ve been cooking mostly gluten free for the past few weeks due to some health issues and let me tell you, I do not miss it at all, and I feel great. It is amazing what you can do without it and it’s great that you can find all sorts of gluten free options at the stores, too. I love experimenting with grains that are naturally gluten free but this time I chose store bought gluten free corn pasta because I really don’t feel like making spaghetti from scratch (though that would probably be a challenge).
I decided to make up for the pasta with an extra healthy sauce. I think lentils and carrots are a great choice. Green lentils are low in calories but high in nutrition, a good source of protein, they have high levels of soluble fiber and iron. And carrots are just good for you; mostly known for large amounts of beta-carotene which transforms into vitamin A, biotin, vitamin K, fiber, potassium, vitamin C and lots of other vitamins and minerals.
Here is what you will need for about three people:
For the pasta:
- 3 portions gluten free pasta (it can be in other forms, not necessarily spaghetti)
- 1 large pot of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Start cooking the pasta when you are almost done with the sauce.
- Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 cup green lentils, soaked overnight and cooked as instructed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground red paprika
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of black pepper
- Water as needed (have at least a cup ready)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (non GMO and gluten free)
- ½ cup water
- Place a pan on medium heat and add the olive oil, when hot add the diced onion. Stir and cook until it’s soft and starts to brown.
- Add the grated carrots and spices (only a pinch of salt) – the spices become more aromatic and flavorful when dry heated. Stir well to spread the spices all around, keep on medium heat stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water and cook until it evaporates.
- The water in your pot should be boiling by now so cook the pasta if you haven’t yet. (My pasta was instructed to boil for 2 minutes and leave to sit in the water for another 7 minutes.
- Also place the cooked lentils in the pan and sprinkle with the rest of the salt. Add some water, cook for about 10 minutes just to infuse the flavors together, and adding water as it evaporates to prevent from sticking and burning the sauce. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- After 10 minutes pour ½ cup of water in the pan and stir. In a separate cup stir together the starch and water for thickening. Pour in the pan a little bit at a time until you are satisfied with the thickness of the sauce. I like to make a bit runnier since the pasta soaks some of the water later on.
- Drain the pasta and toss it in the pan with the sauce until it is all covered in the deliciousness of lentils and carrots.
- Serve with a nice leafy green salad and bon appetite!