Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
After spending a few weeks at my parents' house, I now am back to living on my own and have run into the problem several times where I suddenly think, "I want to bake some yummy things!!" I end up making way too many, so they end up either going stale, or I end up eating too many. (Hey, who can stare at a bunch of cookies and not be tempted to keep eating them?) In edition to these problems with baking in large batches, it's also true that if I am trying out a new recipe, I don't want to risk not liking the restult, and thereby wasting a bunch of ingredients.
So, here is a simply delicious small batch of gluten-free and sugar-free cupcakes with carob chips and blueberries and a sugar-free chocolate cream cheese frosting! Eeeee! And can you believe that each cupcake is under 100 calories? Yup. They are very moist and cake-like, as a cupcake should be.
Makes 3 awesome cupcakes. I planned to give one to my boyfriend, but he had just eaten a muffin, so I ate two myself, and the third is probably going to be eaten by me later! At least I only made three though, right?
For the cupcakes:
- ¼ cup + 2 tbs sorghum flour / gluten-free all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt (I used pink hymalayan sea salt)
- 3 tbs blueberries (I used frozen wild blueberries)
- 1 tbs unsweetened carob chips (or you could use vegan chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbs + 2 tsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 packets of xylitol (equals 8g) / 8g stevia (or 2 tsp)
- Optional: vegan sprinkles - they mostly look pretty. ^^
Chocolate "Cream Cheese" Frosting (Sugar-Free!):
* You can omit the frosting but it is delicious! *
- 2 packets xylitol (8g or 2 tsp), blended to powdered-sugar consistency
- ½-1 tbs vegan cream cheese (I used the Tofutti brand)
- 1 tbs unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp cacao powder
Blend or mix all together well. Adjust to your desired tastes. Add more almond milk if it is too thick, or add more cream cheese if it is too liquidy. Mine was about mid-way between runny and thick-ish. It set a bit in the fridge though.
Preheat oven to 350F.
- Get out a small bowl and mix the wet ingredients together. Mix dry ingredients in another bowl and then combine the wet into the dry. Mix until there are no more dry ingredients visible. Add in the blueberries and carob chips and fold in.
- Get out three silicon cupcake liners (If you don't have these that's fine, but silicon is awesome since nothing sticks!) or whatever cupcake liners you have. If you don't have silicon, you will probably need to slightly coat the liners with some coconut oil or olive oil or vegan butter, since gluten free recipes tend to stick more (Or at least I've found that they do). Evenly distribute the batter into the three cupcakes and place in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes. You can place a tooth pick in the center of one or lightly press on the top of one with your finger to see if there is any batter that hasn't cooked.
- Allow to cool before removing from liners. Spread on the frosting and top with some vegan sprinkles if you have any.
I hope you try these out. They are yummy, and of course, if you want a larger batch, just double or triple the recipe. Happy baking!