People living in small spaces should not forego fresh vegetables due to lack of growing space. There are several ways to grow vegetables. You can have containers of all shapes and sizes on a small patio or porch. This way you can watch them sprout and grow. A mobile garden planter box is one where you can control the sunshine and area you use. A vertical garden fence with pouches that you can plant quickly producing vegetables in for salads or herbs is a great option also.
The usual cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce are great options but why not try some different ones that are easy to grown and do not take much space. Here are five you might like to try:
1. Watercress- A tasty and uniquely flavored herb that grows wild in some areas. Great on sandwiches and in salads. You will want to start seeds inside in water and then pick a shady place to plant them outdoors. Water them early in the morning or in the evening. These are tasty in salads and soups.
2. Celtuce- If you like celery and lettuce you'll love this plant from China. You can eat the stalks and leaves. Start seeds indoors or out in a moist and warm spot keeping the soil damp. It will thrive in full to partial sun. This one is a fast grower and is great in salads.
3. Ornamentals- These are a great idea for small spaces. An ornamental is a pretty option while it can also be picked and used for salads or in a stir fry. Spread seeds thinly and, instead of in a row, broadcast over an area. It only needs a fine layer of soil and to be kept moist. Comes in cabbage and kale varieties.
4. Yardlong bean pods-- These green bean pods are also known as Chinese long beans. They actually grow to about a half a yard long. These tasty pods grow fast and are great in stir fry recipes. These are a good source of vitamins a, c, and fiber.
5. Chinese broccoli or kale- This is a leafy green vegetable usually used in Cantonese cooking. It is delicious in salads and can also be served like broccoli in a number of dishes. This is a hybrid vegetable also called broccolini or kai-lan. It is a good source of potassium and fiber.
Image: Courtesy of houzz.com