Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Forget preparing sushi in the traditional form of a roll, it doesn't need to be that difficult. All the flavours of your favourite maki can be assembled in a bowl on a bed of fluffy sushi rice, without the hassle of rolling and sourcing bamboo mats.
You can really get creative with this dish by adding different combinations your favourite ingredients each time. I never make the same bowl twice, in fact! Listed below are just a few suggestions, but feel free to change it up!
Sushi rice (short grain or arborio) is lightly seasoned with a sweet vinegar sauce which is easy to make at home. The sauce usually has rice wine in it, but if you can't find it, leave it out or use sherry. The flavour is very subtle and adds the slightest acidity.
For 2 servings
- 1 cup short grain, or arborio rice
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- Pickled carrot *recipe below
- Cold tofu *recipe below
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 sheet nori
- Black sesame seeds
- Sushi vinegar *recipe below
- Cook 1 cup of short grain rice as directed.
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- dash of rice wine
- In a sauce pan combine ingredients and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over steamed rice so that it is absorbed.
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Peel carrots and cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- In a bowl, add carrots and submerge in vinegar and sugar mixture for at least one hour. The longer the better!
Marinated Cold Tofu:
- 1 block silken tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium sized bowl, combing all ingredients.
- Covering the bowl with a plate or lid, gently shake so tofu is covered with the marinade.
- Let sit for at least ten minutes before serving.
Sushi Bowl Assembly
- In a soup bowl add a scoop of steamed, marinated rice.
- Top it with a shredded sheet of nori, vegetables, fruit, and tofu.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Serve with soy sauce on the side.
Enjoy the wonderful flavours of sushi at home in much less time!
Photo taken by author