Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Here is a delectable vegan recipe for you. Macaroons have become one of my favorite dessert recipes. With recipes for a lot of cookies and candies, I seem to be caught up in a guessing game. Will it be crunchy or chewy enough? Will guests enjoy this? But these macaroons come out fantastic every time! I hope they are a vegan culinary success for you too.
Easy Vegan Coconut Macaroons
o 1 cup of applesauce
o 1/2 cup sugar
o 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
o 1/4 teaspoon salt
o 14 oz bag of sweetened and shredded coconut
*Optional: Melted chocolate for dipping.
1. Set your oven to 325°. To keep your macaroons from sticking, use parchment paper or brush your baking sheets lightly with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2. Stir together your sugar, vanilla, applesauce, and salt in a bowl until the batter is fully mixed. Stir in the coconut and continue to mix evenly until the ingredients have been fully combined.
3. Use a deep spoon to scoop up about 2 tablespoons of batter and drop it in mounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Each mound should be about an inch apart on the sheet.
4. While baking, rotate the sheets halfway through the process so that all of your mounds cook evenly! Continue baking until they are golden brown, or about 20 - 25 minutes.
5. Let the macaroons cool completely. They will last about a week in an airtight container.
For an upgrade on this recipe, try melting your favorite vegan chocolate. Dip the bottom of the cool macaroons in the melted chocolate. Let the chocolate cool/dry, and then serve. Some like these vegan treats better with chocolate, and some like them better without!
Whether you use chocolate or not, I personally think these macaroons taste the best on days 2 and 3. The flavor is just more pronounced when this dessert has time to sit. Let me know what you think of this recipe!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.