Prep Time: 30 minutes active, 2 hours inactive
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
These lentil and veggie patties were so good that I just had to share my recipe! I made them last week for the first time, but then I just had to make them again this week too (yes, they were that good). Lentil and veggie patties are flavorful, filling, and full of protein and nutrition. These directions consist of both a vegan lentil and veggie patty recipe, and a delicious horseradish dressing recipe to top off the patties. The dish can be made with a variety of lentils, but I had the best (and fastest) results with red split lentils. Here it goes:
Vegan Lentil & Veggie Patty Ingredients:
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1/3 cups quinoa or wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots, celery, and basil (or other vegetables of choice)
- A pinch each of salt and pepper
- Olive oil for cookie sheet and drizzling
1. Boil and stir washed and drained red lentils and onions in a medium-sized boiler for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and chopped vegetables to boiler and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until vegetables are done. Set cooked mixture aside.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients and let mixture cool before refrigerating for approximately 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400, and use olive oil to grease a baking sheet.
4. Scoop lentil and veggie mixture out with a spoon and shape into balls onto baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and lightly pat each ball with the back of the spoon to make patties.
5. Bake patties for 20-30 minutes or until patties are brown and crispy.
Horseradish Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of horseradish
- 1/4 cup of Tofu Mayo (or the vegan mayo of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano o Salt and pepper, to taste
- Stir all ingredients thoroughly.
- Chill sauce until lentil & veggie patties are ready to serve.