Vegan Mozzarella Sticks
It’s happened to me a million times, my omnivore husband and I have gone to a restaurant and I watch him happily eat mozzarella sticks. These tasty appetizers were my favorite foods before I became vegan. Out of all of the appetizers I miss….this has to be a top of my list. I know other vegans have to miss these too. This recipe took some work to perfect, but it’s pretty good.
- ½ cup of Vegan Japanese bread crumbs
- 1 cup of bread flour
- 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning `
- 1/2 cup of milk (1 basil leaf, 1 teaspoon of garlic)
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 tsp parsley flakes ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 3 bowls
1. Heat oil until 350 degrees or until oil moves in circular motion.
2. In first bowl, combine milk, basil leaf and garlic. Heat in microwave for one minute. Allow milk to cool. In second bowl place bread flour. In last bowl, combine Italian seasoning, paprika, dried oregano, parsley flakes, panko flakes and salt.
3. Cut wedge of vegan mozzarella in to sticks about ¼ inch thick.
4. Create dredge station in the following order: Milk bowl, flour bowl, seasoning.
5. Dip cheese in milk, flour, seasoning, flour and in to the seasoning again. Repeat with each stick.
6. Gently place each stick in hot oil for 30-45 seconds. Remove and allow to cool.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.