Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30-40 mins
This hearty french inspired stew will please vegans and omnivores alike, making it a great recipe for guests with varied eating styles. White miso, nutritional yeast, and turmeric help to replicate a deep chicken broth flavor, while jackfruit adds a stewed meat-like texture.
It can be made with or without oil.
2 14 oz cans of jackfruit in water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
2 large yellow onions, roughly cut into 3/4 inch chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
4 stalks of celery, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
8 oz medium-sized baby portabella or white mushrooms halved
3 medium gold or red potatoes, roughly cut into 3/4 inch chunks
3 cups vegetable stock
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon white miso
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Salt to taste (optional)
2 15 oz cans of white beans
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1) Break jackfruit apart into 3/4 inch chunks, remove large seeds. Rinse thoroughly under water using a colander, then soak in water for 30 mins or more to remove brine flavor.
2) Put a large lidded pot or dutch oven on medium heat, when hot, add olive oil and onions until onions are slightly browned, about 5 mins. If not using oil, heat pan on high, when very hot, add onions and a few tablespoons of water and sauté until lightly browned.
3) Add garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms and potatoes. Sauté until slightly browned, being careful not to burn. Adjust heat if necessary. If water sautéing, keep adding enough water so that vegetables don’t stick to the pan.
4) Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, miso, nutritional yeast, bay leaves, thyme, turmeric, black pepper and salt (if using).
5) Stir ingredients in pot to mix, then stir in jackfruit and white beans.
6) Put lid on pot leaving slight gap, turn down flame to low and simmer for at least 30-40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
7) Serve in bowls with chopped fresh parsley.