Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
This recipe is inspired from South India; the blend of spices and the wholesome chickpeas make this recipe one of my all-time favorite recipes when it comes to Indian food. Well, you don’t need to worry about the ingredients or the method because I assure you this recipe will be simple and easy to make. So let’s check out the ingredients and the method to make this delicious vegan recipe. Here’s the list of ingredients.
- 2 cups of boiled chickpeas
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5-7 curry leaves
- Oil to cook
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup of finely chopped cilantro
- Step 1: Take a pan and heat some oil in it. After a few seconds, add the onions, the minced ginger, and garlic to the oil and let it simmer till the color turns golden brown.
- Step 2: Now, add the shredded coconut and some chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Step 3: Next, add the tomatoes and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Step 4: Once the mixture is cooked properly you can add the salt, turmeric and red chili powder to the pan.
- Step 5: Now, take the mixture and put it in a blender. Add some water and blend it until you get a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Step 6: Next, take another small pan and heat some oil in it. Then add some fennel seeds and let it sputter.
- Step 7: Add some curry leaves and let it sputter too. Then add the boiled chickpeas to the pan and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Step 8: Next, you can add the smooth curry paste, black pepper powder and salt to the chickpeas and mix it well. Make sure that you mix it carefully so that the chickpeas don’t get mashed.
- Step 9: Cover the pan with a lid and cook it on a low flame for some time until the chickpeas and spices get cooked properly.
Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro and serve this curry piping hot with basmati rice or Indian flat bread. Hope you liked the recipe. Do try it and let me know how it turns out.
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr’s Creative Commons.