Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Rice and curry are just the perfect combination for a hearty meal. In fact, in India, rice is cooked at least thrice a week, accompanied with any sort of curry or dal [lentils]. This time, I am sharing a recipe that is absolutely simple to prepare and is a quick fix for me when I am running out of time. So here’s my favourite vegan green pea pulao. It is as simple as the name itself, you just need a handful of ingredients, 10-15 minutes and your dish will be ready in no time. Here is the list of ingredients and the method to make this pulao.
- 1 cup of soaked basmati rice
- ½ cup of fresh green peas
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2-3 finely chopped green chillies
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Step 1: Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the finely chopped onions. Let the onions simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the colour turns golden.
- Step 2: Now, add the finely chopped green chillies, cloves, minced ginger, and garlic to the pan and saute them for another 5 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the soaked vegan rice and green peas to the pan and mix well.
- Step 4: Lastly, sprinkle some salt, cinnamon powder, and add water to the pan. Cover it with a lid.
- Step 5: Let the rice cook for at least 10 minutes on a low flame. Check if the rice is cooked properly by tasting one grain. If it isn’t hard and you can eat it, the rice is cooked.
That’s it! Your vegan green pea pulao is ready! Serve the pulao piping hot with any curry or dal [lentils]. You can add your favourite vegetables and customise the recipe; I prefer keeping the recipe simple, so I haven’t added any vegetables. Hope you like the recipe. Do let me know!
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr’s Creative Commons.