Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
I was leaving an office building this afternoon, minding my own business. I hadn't eaten and the farmers' market just appeared before my blurry eyes. It was one of those really awesome, fly-by-night farmers' markets that have amazing veggies and herbs for ridiculously low prices. I was hungry. I plead insanity.
Eight dollars later, I was driving home with eggplant, tomatoes, summer squash, purple carrots, and red potatoes. I had no idea what I would do with them. I knew a vegan friend and my vegan daughter were coming for dinner, so I had to come up with something quick. It's these situations that often give rise to the best recipes ever. I have to admit, it was delicious. You can make it in under 10 minutes prep time (takes 45 minutes to bake in the oven though) and vary it based on what veggies you have in your fridge. This dish is really rich and satisfying.
Here's what I used:
- 2 small red potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 small sliced purple carrot
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 1 container Tofutti vegan sour cream
- ½ block of vegan “mozzarella” style “cheese,” shredded or 3 handfuls mozzarella style shreds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp minced garlic or enough garlic to suit your taste
- 1 Tb dried oregano
Preheat oven to 395 F
- Arrange prepared veggies in large baking dish
- Combine in a mixing bowl the vegan sour cream, most of the “cheese,” salt, garlic, and oregano
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the veggies and stir to combine
- Put the remainder of the cheese on top of the casserole
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes in the oven or until the veggies are tender and the “cheese” sauce is delicately browned
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.