Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Vegan, low in fat, high in protein and fiber, and highly addictive, these are a great crispy, crunchy, savory and inexpensive snack when you're craving chips but want something healthier.
It’s truly amazing what a can of chickpeas and a few seasonings can become given some time in the oven!
Result: a healthy, fun, crunchy snack.
These nutritious crowd pleasers are a great alternative to high-fat chips. Enjoy them by the handful or throw on top of a salad. Great to have for all the football TV watching this fall.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 dash crushed red pepper
1 (15 ounce) can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained very well.
1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place chickpeas on a paper towel and really dry them off, rolling them around to get them SUPER dry.
3. Whisk the oil, cumin, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper together in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Spread the chickpeas into a single layer baking pan lined with foil and bake for 30 minutes, stirring them every ten minutes.
5. Take them out of the oven, dump then in a bowl and drizzle with the mixture.
6. Return to oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned and slightly crispy, for ten more minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let chickpeas cool completely before enjoying.
Possibilities are endless. You can play around with the flavors, seasoning them with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg for example, if you want a sweet, instead of a salty treat. Just make sure to toss them until they end up in single layer.
Also, they don’t stay as crispy for more than one day at a time, so eat them the same day you roast them. (I’m sure that won’t be a problem. I ate the entire batch by myself in one sitting.)
Sesame Soy- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Chili Lime: â€¨1 Tablespoon olive oil, â€¨1 Tablespoon lime juice, 3 teaspoons chili powder, â€¨1 teaspoon ground sea salt
Chipotle: 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoof chipotle powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon ground sea salt, 1 teaspoon pepper