Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
This quick and delicious Creamy Pesto Spaghetti with Mushrooms is a very delicious and warming lunch or dinner option. This is a good dish for a dinner party. Just add some toasted pine nuts and fresh basil to the top of your dish before serving. The pesto is creamy and full of so much flavour. Raw cashews are the secret ingredient that add the creamy texture. You could use pine nuts but it won't turn out as creamy. Make sure you use fresh basil (not dried) for the pesto. It's hard to believe this is a vegan dish!
- spaghetti for 4 (or any other pasta that you like)
- 1 avocado (peeled and dice)
- 1 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 500g diced mushrooms (cup, button, flat – whatever type you like)
WHAT DO I DO NOW?
- Cook your pasta as per the instructions on the packet.
- While your pasta is cooking, put the avocado, basil, olive oil, lemon, garlic and raw cashews into a food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy. (you could use a blender but may need to add a little water or more olive oil).
- Cook your mushrooms in some olive oil on low heat until they are golden brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pot. Mix the basil pesto through the pasta (while hot) and add the mushrooms at the end.
- Yum! Very easy. Very delicious.
ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?
The basil / avocado pesto can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. You could add asparagus tips or pine nuts to this if you would like to mix things up a little. This pesto is a great base for pasta sauce – vegan and delicious.