Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Some salads are so beautiful that you want to make them just because they are pretty. If they are also tasty, you have lucked out, and this salad is fortunate enough have a leg in both worlds: beautiful and delicious! So many colors come together in one bowl - red (beans), green (herbs), orange (sweet potatoes), yellow (corn) - that it is almost like eating your way through the warmer side of the spectrum.
Bean salads have to be one of the most satisfying salads as one little dish is actually a hearty (and healthy) meal. They can be customized as you like and many different ingredients can be added or taken away.
For this recipe, I like to steam my sweet potatoes, but you can also boil or roast them. I once roasted them with garlic and herbs and it was fantastic and added a slight crunch. Steaming is the healthiest and is also quite fast, which is why it is my favorite method.
This recipe makes 8 big servings.
- 1 sweet potato, skinned and cubed
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can corn
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of vinegar (of your choice)
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- water for boiling
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Insert a steamer and add the sweet potatoes. Steam for ten minutes or until soft. - You can optionally boil the potatoes and drain when soft.
- Open the can of chickpeas and kidney beans and wash them under cold water.
- Drain and add to a large mixing bowl along with the corn.
- Toss the beans with tahini, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Taste the salad to make sure it is seasoned to your liking, and if not, adjust accordingly.
- Scoop a ladle-full of bean salad into a bowl and add a generous amount of sweet potato, cilantro and scallions.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Image by author