Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Wassail is the perfect aromatic holiday drink for brewing in a crock pot. The aroma of crock pot wassail fills the house with the scent of Christmas. It is perfect served hot, and is nonalcoholic. Children enjoy the drink as well as adults. It is easy to transport wassail in a carafe or a crockpot to Christmas parties at church or the homes of families and friends. The drink makes a welcomed holiday gift presented in quart size canning jars.
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. whole cloves
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp.ginger
- 1 orange sliced in circles
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 4 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 quarts apple cider or juice
- 1½ cups orange juice
- Pour all juices into crock pot and stir well.
- Slice orange into circles and add to crockpot.
- Add cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar and cloves to the mixture.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 8 hours in crockpot.
- Discard cinnamon sticks and whole cloves before serving.
- Wasail may be served straight from crockpot or refrigerate and reheat before serving.
A one cup serving equals approximately 100 calories. Health or weight conscious cooks may delete the brown sugar for a more tart tasting drink. Wassail is a healthy drink that may be enjoyed without guilt. The phytonutrients found in cranberry juice are beneficial for kidney stones, urinary tract infections, colds and other respiratory tract infections. Cranberry juice contains antioxidants, vitamin C, B-6, thiamin, iron, niacin, zinc, magnesium and calcium. Orange juice contains vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. Orange juice combats signs of early aging by protecting the body from harmful free radicals, balances blood pressure, aids in the absorption of calcium and is good nutrition to battle respiratory infections. Apple juice is high in antioxidants and are associated with a reduced risk for cancer, coronary heart disease, stroke and Type II diabetes. Pineapple juice aids in digestion, offers anti-inflammatory benefits, contains vitamin B-6, potassium and is packed with vitamin C.
*Photo courtesy of Wassail-oke by Leaca from Flickr’s Creative Commons.