Many tire of the same plain old oatmeal day in and day out. You can always add some fruit or syrup to spice things up or, you could really kick it up a notch and try this delicious oatmeal baked with succulent strawberries, rich chocolate, and crunchy walnuts!
You'll need the following ingredients to make your Chocolate Strawberry and Walnut Baked Oatmeal:
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coconut milk (or whatever non-dairy milk you prefer)
- 1 egg re-placer (I used 1 tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water)
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly spray a large baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, half of the walnuts (1/4 cup), half the strawberries (1/2 cup), and half the chocolate (1/4 cup).
In another large bowl, whisk together your milk, egg substitute, butter and pure vanilla extract.
Add the oat mixture to your prepared baking pan. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts, and chocolate chips on top of the oatmeal mixture. Now pour the milk mixture over everything and then shake the pan gently to evenly distribute the mixture through the oats.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top has a nice golden color and the milk mixture has set as well.
Serve warm. You can also drizzle a bit of maple syrup on top with a splash of your milk too!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.