Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
I'm not kidding. This is the easiest and most incredible recipe for a vegan chocolate cake you have ever seen! It's perfect for the busy holiday schedule or a Sunday afternoon treat.
While this is an easy recipe and calls for simple ingredients, it does not fall short when it comes to taste. Somehow there is this wonderful balance between the bitterness of the cocoa and the sweetness of the chocolate glaze, while a hint of vanilla lingers and the coconut topping puts it over the top.
Let's get started.
Ingredients for cake batter:
- 1 1/2 cups Spelt flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut fat, melted
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
Ingredients for over-the-top vegan chocolate glaze:
- 3 1/2 oz. dark vegan chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut fat
- 1 tsp brown sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients for the batter. Now add all the wet ingredients and mix together. Butter a six-inch pan and pour in the batter.
3. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
4. When the cake has cooled completely, melt the chocolate with the coconut fat and sugar over a pot of boiling water. Pour over the cake and let it drop down the sides. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
Note: I have been testing out recipes for a good chocolate cake for a while now, trying to find a balance, particularly one that is not too sweet yet not too bitter. This one is by far my favorite (this is also because it takes minimum effort to put together). I hope you love it!
**For an extra kick you could add some brandy or rum in with the vanilla. And don't worry! The alcohol evaporates during baking, so it's even safe for the kids.