I recently discovered this novel way to cook cauliflower and make a relatively healthy “popcorn.” It can be served either as a snack or a side-dish, and it is usually popular with everyone. There are a few variants of this recipe, but this is my favourite as it is the most simple: it uses very few ingredients, and the method is also easy and not too time-consuming. The part that takes the longest is the roasting of the cauliflower in the oven, and you can do something else, or take a break, while it is cooking! It is well worth it when it comes out.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 head of cauliflower (or equal amount of pre-chopped cauli)
4 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1) Preheat the oven to 425º F/220 º
2) Trim the cauliflower head, removing and discarding the core and thick stems; cut the florets into small pieces (around the size of ping-pong balls)
3) In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil and salt and whisk, the add the cauliflower pieces and toss until thoroughly coated.
4) Line a baking sheet with parchment (not essential, but easier to clean afterwards) and spread the cauli pieces on the sheet.
5) Roast for 1 hour, turning 3 or 4 times, until most of each piece has turned golden brown (The browner they turn the more they caramelize, and the sweeter they taste).
6) Serve immediately hot and enjoy!