Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
I have been sooo digging the caribbean sweet potatoes lately. Firstly, a quick note: In Canada and the States, I think these are often labelled as (Caribbean) yams, but they are not actually yams. I thought I'd mention it in case you want to try to find some and aren't sure what they look like.
They have purple skin and a white flesh. Purple-skinned sweet potatoes can also have orange flesh, but I have only ever seen the white-fleshed variety at my local grocery stores. I don't see these at all of the stores - they are usually with the "international" vegetables and fruits, like plantains, loquats, kumquats, coconuts etc... Ask someone at your grocery store if they keep any in stock. :)
Anyway, this Caribbean sweet potato breakfast hash is an awesome substitute to using potatoes. They are more nutrient-dense than Yams or Potatoes.
1/2 cup (or 100g) of Sweet potatoes have approximately:
- 90 calories
- 0 grams of fat
- 20 grams of carbohydrates
- 3.3 grams of fibre
- 2 grams of protein
- 475 milligrams of potassium
- 20 milligrams Vitamin C
- 0.28mg Vitamin B6
- 11.5mg Beta-carotene
Sorry I didn't get the best photo - It was early in the morning and I was eager to eat it! ;) Onto the easy recipe:
- 1 medium/large Caribbean sweet potato/yam - peeled and diced into cubes
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Pinch of Cajun Seasoning / Cayenne / Chili Powder
- 1-2 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1-2 Green Onions or a small onion, diced
- bed of greens, optional
- Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat with the Coconut oil. Add in the sweet potato and seasonings and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally so it all gets evenly cooked. When your sweet potato is starting to get tender, add in the onion during the last few minutes of cooking. To speed up the process, you can cover your pan with a lid for about a minute. You want everything to be a bit crispy though, not overly steamed.
- Remove from heat and enjoy! I like this with some plain old ketchup and some greens.