I'm sure a lot of you have heard of black bean brownies and making vegan cookie dough or cookies using blended chickpeas. Have you ever tried any before? I made some deep dish cookie pies in little ramekins a few weeks ago that were just too good... and were made up of mostly chickpeas! I then dabbled in my first attempt at black bean brownies and my mind was kind of blown.
If you haven't yet tried baking desserts with chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, white beans, you're missing out! I really recommend giving it a go! You really don't taste the beans, only the delicious texture and flavor. It is most definitely a situation where the finished product tastes better than it may sound initially. Here are some of the fantastic recipes I have tried over the last couple of months:
- Deep-Dish Cookie Pie (This is the recipe I split into single serving portions, by baking it in little ramekins instead of making one whole pie. It. is. Delicious.)
- Black Bean Brownie Pancakes I actually haven't tried this one yet, but it is next on my list!
- Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
- Flourless Mocha Bean Cookies
- Pumpkin Cranberry Cookie Dough Bean Balls
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookie Pie
- Cookie Dough Dip
Have any of you tried anything like this before? I always freeze or half batches so I don't end up eating too many since it can be hard to stop!
Something I didn't include is Mochi, which can be filled with sweet red bean paste, made from red kidney beans and sugar. The "doughy" part is made from glutinous rice flour. I don't particularly love mochi, but it is fun to have every now and again, and the different bean fillings are fun to test.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.