The perfect jacket potato, these spicy spuds are a very satisfying and warming winter dish. This is my favourite way of filling baked potatoes; rather than just topping with cheese, etc, this filling is more exotic and spicy, and hence more warming – very invigorating for winter, Bonfire Night, etc! It is slightly more time-consuming than traditional potato toppings, but worth the effort.
- 2 Sylvana potatoes
- Half 1 red pepper
- Half an onion, chopped (you can use either a red or white onion)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli, chopped
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of oregano
- About 25 ml (1 tbsp) soured soya cream, or soya yoghurt
- 1 teasponCoriander, chopped
- About 50 g vegan cheese, grated
1) Bake the potatoes in their skins in the oven until tender (around 1-1 and a half hours at 200 deg C)
2) Remove potatoes from oven, cut them in half and scoop oit most of the flesh, put in a mixing bowl.
3) Fry the pepper and onion until soft, then add the chilli, cumin and oregano.
4) Add the pepper and spices to the potato pulp in the bowl and then add the sour cream/yoghurt and coriander and mash it all together.
5) Pile the mixture back into the skins and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
6) Grill until the cheese is bubbling. Serve with a green salad and bread. Also great with vegan bacon/sausages!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.