Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
I have always loved bananas and I make a lot of banana nut bread. The smell of a loaf cooking is just wonderful and is so inviting. One day I was taking my waffle iron out to use and I saw the over ripe bananas I had in their hanger. I realized I really needed to bake some bread and soon. Then it came to me. How good would banana nut bread be in waffle form? I love to improvise, and had to try it. After all, banana bread has a lightly toasted outer texture and the soft, luscious inner part. It seemed like it would be perfect for waffles! It just might work, I thought. I tried it out, and the family loved it as much I did. So, here is the recipe I came up with. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (Prep time: 5 minutes)
- 2 c. Rice flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup or 2-3 ripe, peeled and mashed bananas
- 2 T. Turbinado sugar
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup soy or rice milk
- 1/3 cup well chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds(optional)
To Prepare: (Time: 10 minutes)
1. In medium mixing boil blend together the first five ingredients. Set this aside.
2.Preheat oven to 200 degrees and preheat waffle iron to manufacturer's settings for cooking.
3. In a medium boil add the next six ingredients(bananas, sugar, vanilla extract, oil and milk) including walnuts if you
are using them. Combine the dry ingredients to this until just blended.
4. Thoroughly oil the upper and lower plates of your iron.
5. Pour about 1/2 a cup of the mixture onto the center of the waffle plate and close lid.
6. Bake about 5 minutes or until golden brown. As the waffles become done place them on a baking sheet in the oven to stay warm.
7. Makes about six waffles. You can separate left over waffles with waxed or parchment paper, can be put in a plastic container and frozen.
They are simply delicious with agave nectar, maple syrup, peanut butter, vegan whipped cream, or whatever you like on your
regular waffles. You can also serve with bananas or other fruits.