Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
I don't get Okra all that often, but when I do, I made these baked and battered okra "fries". They only take 15 minutes in the oven and are a nice side meal or healthy snack.
- 10 pieces of okra (or however many you like - I only had 10 :))
- 2 tbs cornmeal
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- pepper, to taste
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp shredded coconut
- 1/2 tbs flax meal
- optional: cayenne, panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, add the flax meal with about 3 tbs of water. Lightly mix. Wash the okra and cut off both ends.
- On a plate or bowl, add in the cornmeal, nutritional yeast, pepper, coconut and sea salt. Roll each okra in the flax mixture and then in the cornmeal mixture so that it is evenly coated. Place it on a tinfoil-lined baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the okra.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. You can flip them over half-way through baking to ensure both sides are evenly baked.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with ketchup, chutney, or your fave condiment. Best when eaten fresh when the batter is nice and crunchy.