Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Summer is just around the corner and barbecue season is hot on its heels. And for vegans that usually means those dreaded store-bought veggie burgers that have the consistency of cardboard. But if you're willing to spend a little time in the kitchen first, vegan barbecue season can be redeemed to be tasty. These black bean and quinoa burgers and not only delicious but nutritional too!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 3/4 cups black beans (or two cans)
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 egg or egg replacer
- 2/3 cup fresh corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 TBSP chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 cup rolled oats, ground
- Salt and pepper to taste
Soy Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 1 tsp chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
You'll also need:
- Hamburger buns
- Spinach or other green
- And any other toppings you choose
- Add quinoa to 1 cup of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low heat and cover to let cook 10 to 15 minutes or until water is fully absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add three quarters of the black beans. Mash with a fork until it forms a pasty mixture. Stir in the remaining beans, tomato paste, corn, egg, cilantro, chipotles and stir to mix. Add in the cooked quinoa and ground oats and mix evenly.
- Form the mixture into six equal-sized patties and make sure to compact them well (this will help to hold them together on the grill.) Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for a few hours, the longer you leave them the better together they will hold, so give them at least an hour to avoid crumbly patties.
- To make the sauce, mix the yogurt, chipotles, adobo sauce, honey and mustard together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put your burgers on a heated grill and barbecue for 10 minutes. Serve the patties on a bun with the yogurt sauce and other toppings of your choice and enjoy!