Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
I haven't been doing the vegan thing for long, but you could say I've been flaming since birth. Something about being hot and fiery, as I'm sure all of you are. We're all looking to better our lives, especially through health.
Which is why I've come to you today with a small snack that is simple and easy to make. It's perfect for parties, or just for delivering to your son or daughter while they do homework with their friends in the living room. It's not sweet so you won't get the cool mom status, but it's healthy so one day they'll thank you for your hard work. Your husband will happily scarf this down while watching the game, too.
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of your favorite spice
- As much vegan cheese as you like!
- Slice the cucumber into thin slices and arrange the pieces into a space out circle on a plate.
- Drizzle your favorite spice over the cucumber.
- Follow that up with the salt!
- Melt down that cheese--the more the merrier--and when it's thick but runny, dribble it all over your cucumber concoction.
- Let it cool and serve to friends...or keep it for yourself!
This is a very simple treat I've learned from living in a household full of nonvegans. It's not always easy, especially to find the cheese, but it's usually what you can find around the house and by digging through the fridge, so that's what I was aiming for. You could spice things up a little by adding in tomato and peppers, or even the timeless classic of celery and your vegan cheese of choice!
I like to top the snack off with some sparkling water or cranberry juice, but it'd look real good with some wine, wouldn't you say?
Photo by Karen and Brad Emerson.