For most meat lovers turned vegetarian, Portobello is a huge favorite. It makes for a meaty sandwich with no meat and is my preferred option at all burger joints. It’s juicy, delicious and easily available.
This one is my DIY Portobello sandwich that I love making. Bread, Hummus and Portobello always make a delicious, hard-to-resist meal option. It’s quite a favorite with me.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 Burger buns or bread slices
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps
- 4 Lettuce leaves
- Hummus for the spread
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Tomato sliced
- Ground Black pepper
- Garlic salt (optional)
- Olive oil for taste
- Roast the Portobello caps in a heated pan flipping a couple of times until softened. If you want, you can grill or toast the bread meanwhile.
- Smear the bread with lots of hummus and place the mushroom cap on it. Top it up with tomato slices, lettuce leaves and sliced onion. Sprinkle a tsp of ground black pepper. You can also add garlic salt, I leave that optional.
- Drizzle a few drops of olive oil on top of the assembled sandwich. And voila…a delicious juicy Portobello sandwich is ready!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.