Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
India is known for its diverse population and cuisine. Today I am going to share my favorite Gujarati recipe of Khahkra with you. What is khakra? It's a crispy snack which is prepared from dough by adding Indian spices. Khakhra is also available in various flavors, like Methi khakhra, Masala khakhra, Plain khakhra and many more. The basic method of preparation is similar across the board, but some ingredients differ according to the type. This recipe is simple and is full of protein. Let's do it!
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of salt
METHOD TO PREPARE THE KHAKHRA:
- Step 1: Take a large bowl and combine the wheat and chickpea flour.
- Step 2: Now add the turmeric powder, salt, chili powder, oil, and water.
- Step 3: You can now prepare the dough out of the mixture. Make sure that the dough is not too stiff, nor too watery. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Once the dough is ready, you can form small balls-- approximately 1 inch in diameter. Roll out each ball and prepare flat round shaped breads.
- Step 5: Heat some oil in a pan and add one of your khakhras. Alternate cooking your khakhras on each side until each has a golden brown color. Cook each side until crisp.
Cool for 5 minutes. Serve with any chutney or your favorite sauces.
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr.