Vacations are a wonderful method of relaxation for our mind, but our bodies deserve a vacation too! Even vegan diets can slowly build up toxins over time, and these toxins can come from outside sources as well. Dedicating a few days to rich, fresh, and healthful meals can give your body a much needed recess. This will cleanse your system, ridding yourself of harmful toxins and free radicals. Below are three vegan recipes you can try to help with this detox process.
#1 Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
Not only do you receive a brilliant dose of vitamin C and potassium in this recipe; turmeric, ginger, and ginseng offer anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and stress-reducing health benefits! If you are craving a taste of the tropics and want to cleanse your body of harmful toxins, sip on this delicious and nutritious smoothie.
- 2–3 frozen bananas
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 piece raw ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger root powder
- 1 teaspoon ginseng powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 can light coconut milk
- In a blender, pulse the pineapple and frozen bananas.
- Add in the light coconut milk and pulse the mixture until incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the powders. Try to avoid clumping the spices. Add in the vanilla and blend fully.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of turmeric, serve, and enjoy!
#2 Savory Superfood Salad
Packed with fiber, essential nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants, there is no question why chia seeds and kale are two amazing superfoods. This savory superfood salad takes your palate and body on an exciting detox ride.
- 5–6 cups chopped kale
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 avocado, diced
For the vinaigrette dressing:
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Himalayan pink salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- After prepping by chopping your ingredients, mix together the kale, red bell pepper, carrots, avocado, parsley, cilantro, and basil in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, red wine vinegar, and onion powder.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and sprinkle the chia seeds on top. Add as much pink Himalayan salt and crushed black pepper to suit your taste.
#3 Presto Pesto Pine Nut Pasta
Filling ourselves with an excess of processed carbohydrates can leave our bodies hungry for nutrients that are lacking, unfortunately even if you swap for gluten free and whole grain pasta. This dish satisfies any love for pasta and is brimming with healthful ingredients. Zucchini and basil aid the entire body by increasing the immune system, relieving pain and stress, lowering cholesterol, protective qualities for the liver and heart, as well as providing antioxidants. Topped with wholesome, energy boosting, protein, and iron packed pine nuts, pesto pine nut pasta is a must for a detoxing cuisine.
- 3–4 zucchinis, peeled or unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup white northern beans
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- A pinch each of dried oregano, thyme, parsley, salt, and black pepper
- Start by preparing your noodles by using a julienne peeler to make long strings of zucchini.
- Place the zucchini noodles in a strainer over a bowl and drizzle the lemon juice over it.
- Allow the any excess liquid to drain off the pasta while you prepare the pesto.
- Throw the white northern beans, pine nuts, basil, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and spices in a food processor or blender. Stop processing at desired consistency.
Though cooking foods such as fruit and vegetables may offer some digestion help, heat can actually destroy the nutritional properties. In the case of cleansing and detoxification, it is beneficial to keep ingredients fresh and raw, allowing your body to process as many nutrients as it possibly can.