1. Substituting other flours or starches from the ones given in your recipe may cause it to fail.
2. Only Substitute one type of starch for another eg. corn starch for potato starch, don't substitute a flour instead.
3. Be sure and mix all your gluten free flours well.
4. Add your xanthan gum to the gluten free flour mix and make sure it is well mixed.
5. Gluten free batters can be stiff and harder to blend together. Letting it sit for a few minutes before baking will help.
6. If your recipe fails the first time try adding more or less liquid next time.
7. If your recipe fails the first time try adding more or less xanthan gum next time.
8. Don't expect your batter to act the same as a wheat based one.
9. Don't expect the finished product to look like a wheat based one either.
10. Do expect your gluten free baked goods to always taste good and be healthy.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.