Celebrated every year on May 5, Cinco de Mayo today in America is celebrated as a day of Mexican heritage and pride. As most vegans and vegetarians know, food from other cultures is often much more friendly to meatless fare. And let's face it: Mexican food and culture are incredible. And Cinco de Mayo is just fun. Below you'll find twenty absolutely fantastic recipes that range from appetizers on through dessert and even include the delicious and refreshing rice milk beverage horchata. The great thing about preparing a Mexican feast is the inventiveness inherent in Mexican cooking-- recycling the same basic and perfect ingredients into a wide range of different dishes sure to please even the most eclectic-minded of cooks and guests.
Not to mention, so many of the basic ingredients in Mexican kitchens are such perfect compliments to a healthy vegan diet-- whole beans, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, tortillas, jalapenos, rice, and the list goes on. While eating out at Mexican restaurants can be easy and wonderful, the cooking there is often packed with sodium and hidden animal ingredients, namely lard and animal stock. Why not create your own celebration at home and skip all that? Pull out the colorful plates, invite over a few of your favorites for Monday, and celebrate both Cinco de Mayo and the welcoming of spring, with a gorgeous hearty spread of Mexican awesomeness.
- Vegan Bean, "Chicken", & Cheese Tortilla Casserole
- Super Easy Spanglish Guacamole
- Green Chile Potato & Jalapeno Corn Burritos
- Simple Mushroom & Veggie Fajitas
- Vegan Taco Dorado with Chipotle & Mango Habanero Salsa
- Buddha's Delight 10 Layer Vegan Taco Dip
- Salsa Fresca: How to Make Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Spicy Jalapeno Cashew Cheese Dip
- Vegan Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- Vegan Mexican Tortilla Chip Casserole
- Vegan Churro Chips & Dip
- Black Cilantro Lime Rice
- Refried Bean Burritos
- Fabulous Tempeh Taco Quesadillas
- Black Bean & Avocado Fiesta Salad
- Not Yo Vegan Nachos!
- Homemade Vegan Horchata
- Cashew Queso
- Vegan Layered Mexican Bake
- Savory Meatless Taco Salad
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.
Leave a Comment
Log in to comment.