If you're like me, you might wonder how to create delectable "special" holiday or celebration food that is appropriate for a vegan table. Well, this dish fits the bill! It's incredibly creamy and satisfying and features a symphony of amazingly subtle flavors. It's my absolute favorite for the winter holidays, but you can whip it up for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It's not as hard to make as it sounds...give it a try!
- 2 large red garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 2 Tbs. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- Optional: Peanuts for garnish
- Pour oil into a stew pot and add the prepared sweet potatoes, turn on medium heat.
- Add cumin salt, cayenne, and cinnamon. Let sizzle gently for about 3 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, broth, tomatoes, and peanut butter. Stir until blended and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and cover, stirring occasionally.
- While stew cooks, prepare rice
- 1 tsp. margarine
- 1 tsp. peanut oil (can be omitted for another tsp. of margarine)
- 1 tsp. prepared lemon grass herb blend from a tube OR 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- Optional: shredded coconut for garnish
- Add margarine and olive oil to a saucepan
- Add lemon grass blend OR ginger, cinnamon stick and rice to pan.
- Sautee two minutes on medium-low heat
- Add coconut milk, sugar, salt, lime juice, white pepper
- Bring to a simmer and stir
- Cover, lower heat to low and simmer 15 minutes until done. Fluff.
- Garnish if you like.
Serve the stew over the rice and garnish with peanuts or lime wedges. Goes exceptionally well with light white wines or Belgian style beers! Enjoy!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.