Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 20 mins.
Smoky chipotle adds a little kick to the sweetness of the onion. I’m always in a quest to cook my favorite foods, veganize them and make them healthier. I cannot wait until you try this baked version of onion rings. These crispy and flavorful onion rings make a great snack or addition to veggie burgers, sandwiches or wraps.
- 2 large sweet onions
- For Batter:
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup unsweetened almond/coconut / soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. chipotle chile in adobo
- ½ cup vegan beer
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift together ½ cup whole wheat flour and 2 Tbsp. cornstarch. Add milk and mix until uniform.
3. Add ½ cup beer and adobo sauce and mix until no lumps are visible. Soak onion rings in batter and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, toss 2 cups panko with 1 tsp coarse sea salt and 2 tsp garlic powder.
5. Drizzle 2 Tbsp. olive oil on coating and toss until evenly spread through.
6. Dip soaked onions into breading mixture, thoroughly coating on both sides.
7. Lay them on the parchment paper.
8. Bake in 450 oven until brown and crispy, 15-20 minutes.
9. Season with coarse sea salt. These are best served immediately.
These onion rings are incredibly easy to make, and they are definitely healthier than the greasy fried alternative. All you have to do is slice them, dunk them in a quick batter, bake them and enjoy.