This was my absolute favorite popsicle growing up in Honduras, where it’s summer almost all year round.
It's summertime! What better way to cool of and spread some love to your family and friends, than some impressive and delicious homemade popsicles? The combination of coconut milk, soy milk, and shredded coconut is sure to make them smile. Forget forking out a bunch of dough for preservatives and packaging! I think we can all agree that it always tastes better when it was created at home with love and intention. These pops are versatile. Feel free to add some fresh seasonal fruit. Big chunks of strawberries or peaches come immediately to mind, but pineapple sounds incredible too! The sky's the limit! Cool off with these creamy coconut frozen treats and come back to The Flaming Vegan with a full report!
Makes: 6 large frozen pops
Chilling Time: 4-6 hours until hardened
- 1 cup condensed coconut milk* (recipe below)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup dried, shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 popsicle sticks
1. Prepare coconut condensed milk.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves.
3. Pour mixture into 6 large popsicle molds or paper cups and insert a Popsicle stick into center of each.
4. Freeze for approximately 4-6 hours, or until solid.
Coconut Condensed Milk
• 3 cups Coconut Milk
• ½ cup Sugar (try evaporated cane sugar for more nutrients)
• 1 teaspoon vanillaâ€¨extract
• 1 Tsp. Salt
1. Mix sugar and coconut milk together in a saucepan, stirring often. As soon as steam starts lifting off the milk, lower the heat (as low as it can go).
2. Reduce the quantity in the saucepan by approximately half.
3. Add the vanilla extract and salt.
4. The mixture will thicken as it blends, and it will become even thicker as it cools.
Tip: before serving, you can roll the popsicles in the shredded coconut, if you have any remaining.
*Recipe courtesy Flickr creative commons.