Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 15 mins.
This is the kind of dish that makes you stop and reflect on how the simplest foods are often the most wonderful.
It’s a simple pasta recipe with sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, tofu and fresh chopped basil, but the combination of ingredients is simply delicious and tastes gourmet. It’s a beautiful, flavorful, heartwarming meal that will make your taste buds dance with so much flavor.
Don't get me wrong. While it’s simple, it's not boring at all.
*To give the pasta a little extra kick, add red chili flakes.
• 1 Lb. Penne pasta
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
• ¾ cup of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
• 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
• 1/3 cup fresh chopped basil
• ½ package firm tofu (6oz.)
• Salt, to taste
• 1 tbsp. red chili flakes, optional
1. In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add the penne pasta and cook according to package directions.
2. As the pasta cooks, prepare the sauce.
3. Sauté garlic in olive oil for a minute or two, remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add the toasted pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil.
5. Mash the tofu and mix well with a spoon.
6. When the pasta is ready, drain, and add to the mixture in large bowl.
7. Toss all ingredients together, sprinkle with red chili flakes, serve and enjoy!
You can eat any leftovers cold, as a chilled penne pasta salad.
*Be careful not to scorch the pine nuts. I usually toast them in a saucepan on top of the stove, but you can certainly do them in the oven. It just takes much longer. Heat a pan over medium heat for approximately two minutes and add 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and the pine nuts. Sprinkle with a dash of salt. Allow the pine nuts to toast for 30–45 seconds, and then toss them. Repeat this process until they start turning brown, then remove from heat and let them cool.