1. Use firm, or extra firm, tofu for your simple tofu recipes. If your tofu seems too soft, wrap in a dishtowel or paper towels, and press it with a brick, book or something heavy to squeeze out excess water, for 5 - 10 minutes.
- You can also buy a tofu press, such as Tofu Xpress.
2. Safety First! Raw tofu should be steamed for 5 minutes, to kill any nasty bacteria, before adding to any uncooked dish, like a salad or sandwich, or giving to children as finger food.
3. Silken Tofu: Silken Tofu has apparently been cooked in processing, or has been pasteurized, and can be used right out of the box in smoothies, desserts, sauces etc.
4. Fried Tofu: Slice firm tofu in 1/2 x 1" pieces, marinate in soy sauce 5 minutes, then fry both sides til crispy. Kids love this, and you can toss the pieces into pasta, rice, casseroles, stir fries etc.
-For more adult tastes, add spices like ginger, cumin, etc to the marinade. You may also use a spicy marinade and then stir fry with veggies or add an Indian or Oriental spiced sauce. Serve with rice or noodles.
5. Cut tofu into 1/2" slices, or into 1" sticks or fingers, marinate and bake or broil. Serve with grains and vegetables or salad.
6. After marinating tofu slices, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, then fry, to give it a cheesy, crispy crust.
7. Add raw sliced tofu to any cooked veggie dish, or sauce, and it'll soak up the flavors. Tofu goes well with stir fried greens, especially if you throw in a few spices, like cumin, turmeric, ginger, or garlic.
8. Store unused raw tofu in a tub of water tightly sealed for up to a week. Change the water once or twice to keep it fresh. Store fried or baked tofu in the frig for up to 2 days.
Adult Serving Size: 1/4 of a block of tofu, or 3 - 4 oz
Nutrition Data Per Serving, 81g, made with calcium sulfate: 117 calories, 3 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 11 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber, 13 g protein, 55% DV Calcium, 12% DV Iron, very low in Cholesterol and Sodium, good source of Phosphorous, Copper and Selenium, very good source of Manganese. Estimated glycemic load: 2