I've recently put on my mixologist hat to create some refreshing and healthy drinks for the summer. My staple drink is seltzer water with fresh lime or lemon and a few ice cubes. However, every once in awhile it's fun to drink something fruity, sweet and satisfying.
Watermelon and basil are too classic summer ingredients, and therefore I thought combining them would work well. With a touch of lime to add a tart component, these flavors will burst on your taste buds and the bubbles will tickle your nose upon the first sip.
You can also check out my Raspberry Mint Iced Tea.
- 2 cups chopped watermelon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 oz. can sodium free seltzer water
- Blend watermelon, basil and lime in a blender until smooth. Strain mixture through a sieve or cheese cloth.
- Mix sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved. This will produce a simple syrup.
- Chill watermelon juice for 30-60 minutes.
- When cold, mix 1 cup of juice with 2 tablespoons of simple syrup and top with 1/2 of a 12 oz. can of seltzer.
- Garnish with watermelon and basil.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.