Did you know that July is national blueberry month? Just in time for summer holidays, barbecues, picnics, and amazingly ripe blueberries, is this fantastic vegan blueberry pie recipe. Gooey, crispy, and crumbly, this blueberry pie will be a hit with your entire crowd, vegan or not.
Your awesome pie pie crusts:
- 2 cups (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon
- (2 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance margarine. (Chill it and divide it into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Small amount of Earth Balance margarine, to oil the pie pan.
For your amazing filling:
- 1 pint fresh, organic, (preferably local!) blueberries
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 11/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon.
To prep your pie crust :
- In a food processor, pulse together dry ingredients until combined. Add the Earth Balance pieces and pulse until your mixture is crumbly. Add water. Mx until the mixture is just combined.
- Place dough onto a clean work surface. Knead your mixture until all of the dry ingredients well incorporated. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of the water over half of the mixture and gently incorporate.
- Move this moistened section of the dough to the side. Repeat this process, adding about a tablespoon of water at a time until entirety of the dough is moist and you can roll it into a ball. Wrap the dough tightly in eco-friendly plastic wrap. Chill until you're ready to use it.
Let's Get Cooking:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan with Earth balance. Roll half of the pie dough and press into pan. Press the dough evenly into the pan
- In a large bowl, stir together the your pie mixture. Wait about twenty minutes, then stir your ingredients to combine them
- Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put your the pie pan onto it. Pour in your amazing filling.
- Either create a lattice top, or top with your remaining flattened crust and insert holes with a fork or other object.
- Cover the pie's edges. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove edge covering. Bake until brown, about five-ten more minutes.
- Cool three hours before serving.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.