Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 to 2 Hours
This is an excellent dish for all occasions and makes a great dish to share at family gatherings or pot lucks. What I like about this meal is how easy it is to prepare. And everyone loves good lasagna-- especially one made with cabbage. I prefer a cabbage lasagna to the heavy noodles of the traditional lasagna. I have made this with Match Vegan Ground Chicken, Match Vegan Ground Beef, and Match Vegan Ground Italian Sausage. You can also use other vegan beef, chicken, and/or sausage substitutes for making this lasagna.
- 1 Pound Match vegan ground beef, chicken, or sausage
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 8 to 10 Garlic cloves, chopped to equal 6 teaspoons
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon pepper
- ½ Teaspoon oregano
- 18 Ounce can of tomatoes with green chives (I like to use the Rotel brand)
- 1 (8 Ounce) can of tomato sauce
- ½ Cup uncooked rice, white or brown
- 2 Pounds of fresh cabbage, shredded
- 1 Cup grated vegan American or Cheddar cheese (I have found out that Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds work well in this dish)
- In your frying pan, add vegan ground beef, chopped onion, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- If the mixture is dry and sticking to the pan when cooking, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Cook your ground beef until done.
- Remove from stove and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add tomatoes, tomato sauce and rice.
- Mix together and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl shred you cabbage and set aside.
- Prepare your cheese. You can use graded cheese or thin cheese slices.
- Add the ingredients from your frying pan to the bowl with the tomato mixture.
- Mix well and set aside.
- In a 9x13x12 inch glass baking dish, coat the dish with vegan margarine or vegan butter.
- Pour half your meat and rice mixture in the bottom of your baking dish.
- Cover the mixture with half of your shredded cabbage.
- Add half of your shredded or thinly sliced cheese on top of the cabbage.
- Repeat the first three layers ending with your cheese.
- Cover your baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the rice is fully cooked.
Serve with salad and hot vegan buttery French bread.
Image courtesy Flickr.com