Personally, I love it when it’s sunny and warm outside. It just makes me want to try out all sorts of different cooling beverages and engage in lots of other fun activities. Pina Coladas have been the official beverage of Puerto Rico for some time, and they're much enjoyed by many the world over. This is a classic, easy-going summer cocktail, typically made with cream of coconut, pineapple juice, and Rum.
This recipe is a thoroughly vegan version, made with rich, creamy coconut milk. Go for it! I mean, come on-- coconut milk is, after all, nutritious and healthy. It always gives recipes a great unique flavor. You can also use vanilla or soy milk if you like, but be sure to add pineapples for flavor.
- 1 Orange peeled and diced
- 1 cup Pineapple chunks
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup Rum
- Puree the above ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with a pineapple slice or a few cherries. Sugar is optional.
- Throw in a few ice cubes, and allow the beverage to cool.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.