Prep Time: 2 Hour
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
I enjoy cooking with tofu and creating new dishes. There are some people who do not like the flavor or texture of tofu. One reason I believe is the water the tofu comes packed in. Pressing tofu takes out the water the tofu absorbs inside. If you are a fan of tofu it is worth the investment to buy a tofu press: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QO5LY8/. I cook tofu three or four times a week and this press works well for removing the water. I put my tofu in the press for 30 minutes before cutting or cooking. Another secret I have learned after pressing and cutting your tofu put in your freezer and freeze. This gives the tofu a better flavor, changes the texture, and marinates absorb quickly.
Japanese and Chinese cooking is one of my families' favorite meals. On Sundays I try to cook something special. I have learned that baking tofu makes it crispy and the center cooks. When I make this dish I prepare my tofu the day before. This way it can marinate overnight in the refrigerator. I have also cooked the tofu on the grill during warm summer months.
1 Package Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed 30 minutes
½ Cup Karo Dark Corn Syrup
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
½ Cup Dark Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Vegetable or Corn Oil
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
½ Teaspoons Grated Fresh Ginger
½ Cup Chopped Green Onions
Vegetable cooking spray
1 to 2 Cucumbers
1 White Onion
10 Radish Red
5 Radish White
Ingredients Marinate Sauce for Salad
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, graded
6 Limes, juiced (around 4 tablespoons)
½ Cup White Vinegar
2 Teaspoons Organic Sugar
3 Tablespoon Soybean Oil
½ Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Pepper
- Press tofu for 30 minutes to drain water
- Cut tofu into ½ inch slabs, and cut into ½ inch squares
- Put in freezer, freeze for 1-hour
Prepare Marinate Sauce
- In 13X9X2 inch baking dish, stir corn syrup, cornstarch, soy sauce, corn oil, sesame seeds, garlic, pepper, and ginger until smooth.
- Remove tofu from freezer adding to mixture with green onions, toss to coat.
- Cover, refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight; turning tofu to marinate all sides
- Clean cucumbers, cut off ends, leave skin on, cut down the center, remove seeds; use cheese grater to grate the cucumbers into salad bowl
- Clean carrots, remove skin; grate with a cheese grater in the same salad bowl
- Clean onion, remove skin; grate with a cheese grater in the same salad bowl
- Clean red radish; grate with cheese grater in the same salad bowl
- Clean with radish; grate with cheese grater in same salad bowl
*If you own a food process set to grate and add all the vegetables. This saves time having to grate all the vegetables with a cheese grater.
Prepare Marinate Sauce for Salad
- Mix all ingredients in small bowl mixing well to dissolve the sugar
- Pour over vegetable in salad bowl; toss to coat
- Cover, refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving; toss salad mixture two or three times to marinate vegetables
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray cooking sheet or baking sheet with vegetable spray; coat well
- Remove tofu from refrigerator; drain saving liquid in bowl
- Place tofu on cooking sheet or baking sheet
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven; use basting brush and baste once during cooking
- Remove pan from oven, turn the tofu over; baste with marinate sauce
- Cook for 20 minutes; baste once during cooking with marinate sauce
Serve the baked tofu on a plate with oriental salad. This also makes a great sandwich using pita pocket bread and topped with oriental salad. Add your favorite vegetables to this meal. Enjoy!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.