Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
This is a delicious vegan dish that is great for late fall and winter. You will enjoy the crispness of fried cauliflower, garlic and rippled Margherita noodles that make an unforgettable dish for all occasions. This vegan delight is easy to prepare and can satisfy the heartiest appetites. When you serve this dish it is wonderful as a main meal with soup, salad, and hot French garlic bread. You can also use this as an appetizer or to start off the first course of a dinner party.
- 3 Pounds cauliflower (1 large or 2 small heads of fresh cauliflower)
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup gluten free flour
- ½ Cup dried bread crumbs
- ½ Tablespoon black pepper, milled
- ½ Cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Pound Margherita narrow rippled noodles
- ½ Cup vegan vegetable broth
- ½ Cup + ¼ cup (for serving) vegan Romano cheese (I use homemade vegan Romano cheese. You can find delicious recipes on the Internet.)
- 2 Teaspoons minced Italian parsley leaves, for garnish
- Remove the florets from your cauliflower, leaving a 1-inch stem.
- Cut the cauliflower florets into 1-inch pieces.
- Wash the cut cauliflower florets in lukewarm water.
- Drain in a colander and set aside.
- In a 8 quart saucepan, add 6 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt and your cauliflower florets to the boiling water.
- Boil the florets until they are barley tinder, check with a fork,
- Remove the florets from the pan, using a slotted spoon or skimmer.
- Transfer the florets to a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Reserve the cauliflower liquid for cooking your noodles.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat ½ cup olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, sauté on low heat until golden brown.
- Remove brown garlic from the pan using a slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix flour, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Coat the florets in the breadcrumb and flour mixture.
- Arrange on florets in a single layer on a plate.
- Heat the water in your saucepan to a rolling boil.
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until done.
- In your frying pan, add your florets and brown on all sides, turn with a spatula.
- The florets and the pasta need to be ready at the same time, so the florets stay crisp when you toss them with the pasta.
- When noodles are cooked, drain in a colander and transfer to a large mixing or serving bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pasta; toss the pasta with the oil.
- Add half your cooked florets to your pasta.
- Add sautéed garlic, mix with pasta and florets.
- In a small saucepan, heat the vegetable broth and ½ cup vegan Romano cheese.
- Cook over medium-low heat, melting cheese.
- Pour the vegetable broth and Romano cheese over the top of the noodles and cauliflower.
- Toss the mixture; coat well.
- Spoon the remaining cauliflower on top of the noodles.
- Garnish with minced parsley.
- Serve immediately with grated vegan Romano cheese.