Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 - 50 minutes
If you're looking for an easy way to start bringing fall flavors into your recipes, pumpkin bread is a great choice. It's an uncomplicated, quick dessert that needs only a few main ingredients, and can be put together in an hour. This recipe also uses maple syrup for an added sweetness that fits right in with Autumn.
Make sure to have a loaf pan on hand before starting.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup maple syrup [can be substituted for agave nectar]
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, mashed banana, optional chopped almonds, salt and spices into a large mixing bowl. Stir until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl or blender, combine the oil, maple syrup, water and pumpkin purée. Blend together until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin mixture into the large bowl, stir together until combined. The mixture should be damp, but not wet.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Top with additional sprinkle of chopped almonds and/or teaspoon of pumpkin spice.
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until browned at the top. To test if it's done, push a toothpick through the top of the bread, if it comes out clean, it's ready.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for about twenty minutes. When finished, carefully remove the bread from the bread pan and place it on a separate plate. Allow the bread to cool for a few more hours to lessen crumbling.
- Store in a refrigerator to keep fresh for up to a week.
Photo provided by whitneyinchicago, through Flickr Creative Commons