Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Rice is one of the most preferred and popular crops in India. In fact, you can make thousands of different rice preparations by customising the ingredients. Today, I am sharing my version of vegan Indian pumpkin rice, which has been passed down through the generations. This recipe is simple and can be served as a quick fix whenever you are hungry. It serves as a healthy and wholesome meal. So let’s get started with this vegan dish. Here is a list of the ingredients that you will need.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of boiled rice
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- ½ cup of pumpkin puree
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- Water to cook
- Salt to taste
- Chopped basil leaves for the garnish
- Step 1: Take a sauce pan and add some olive oil. Next, add the minced garlic and let it sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Step 2: Once the garlic turns slightly golden brown, add the minced onion and stir well.
- Step 3: Next, you have to add the red chilli powder and cumin powder to the mixture. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Step 4: Once the spices are cooked, you can add the pumpkin puree to the mixture and stir it for 2 minutes. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the mixture cook properly on a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Step 5: Next, add the boiled rice to the mixture and keep stirring it for 5 minutes. Cover the lid and let the rice cook for a few more minutes. Check if the rice is cooked properly and then turn off the flame.
Garnish the recipe with some chopped basil leaves and serve the pumpkin rice piping hot. You can have this rice with any vegetable curry. Hope you liked this recipe!
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr's Creative Commons.