Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Gulab Jamuns are one of the most popular desserts in India. Gulab Jamun is the perfect dessert for any occasion, be it a party or normal dinner with close family and friends. Many of us believe that vegans can’t eat gulab jamuns but today in this article I am going to share a veganised version of gulab jamuns. Gulab jamuns are normally prepared using milk powder but we are going to use some other ingredients like oat flour which will make our recipe healthy and gluten free. So let’s get started with this vegan Indian dessert.
For the dough:
• 2 tablespoon brown rice flour
• 3 tablespoon tapioca starch
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• A pinch of salt
• 3 teaspoons water
• ¼ cup oat flour
• 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
For the sugar syrup:
• 1 cup of raw sugar
• A pinch of salt
• ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
• 1 cup water
• ¼ teaspoon saffron strands
• Step 1: Mix the oat flour, brown rice flour, vegetable oil, tapioca starch and baking powder in a bowl to form a dough.
• Step 2: The dough should be non-sticky. Use a little extra amount of water if needed.
• Step 3: Cover the dough with a cloth for 10 minutes and let it rest. Until then you can prepare the sugar syrup.
• Step 4: Now let’s prepare the sugar syrup. First, take water in a container and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then add the raw sugar and let it melt.
• Step 5: Once the sugar is melted add a pinch of salt, cardamom powder, saffron strands and your sugar syrup is ready!
• Step 6: Apply a little oil to your palms and make small balls out of the dough, around 2 inch-sized balls.
• Step P 7: Now heat some oil to deep fry the balls. Once the oil is heated, fry the balls. Remove the balls once the color turns to golden brown.
• Step 8: Once the balls [ jamuns ] are fried keep it aside for 5 minutes to cool down.
• Step 9: Take the sugar syrup in a bowl and put the jamuns in the sugar syrup for at least 15- 20 minutes.
That’s all! Your gluten free gulab jamuns are ready to eat! Gulab jamun can also be eaten with ice cream, so grab your vegan ice cream and have it with these gluten-free Gulab Jamuns.
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr's Creative Commons.